International Committee for the IOI
HistoryThe International Committee (IC) for the IOI was founded by the assembly of all delegates participating in the first IOI at the 19th of May 1989 in Pravetz, Bulgaria.
Based on a recommendation of the International Jury it was decided that the IC should be comprised of
- Three immediate past hosts representatives,
- One current host representative, the president,
- Three immediate future hosts representatives,
- Three other persons elected for two years by the general assembly.
- include countries that represent all geographical regions of the world on the International Committee,
- encourage the maximum number of countries possible to be represented on the International Committee and so limit consecuattive terms as much as possible.
- Call for nominations from interested countries.
- Have a first vote where each country present indicates the countries they wish to see represented on the committee.
- Have a second vote to choose the countries to fill the vacant positions from the three chosen from the first vote.
(The above information is quoted from Chapter 2 of the Final IOI'92 Report)
ObligationsThe tasks of the IC are defined in the IOI Regulations, Statues, Section S4.1. The main duty of the IC is to supervise the continuity of the IOI by
- finding future host countries (allowing ample time for negotiations),
- examining the organization of future IOIs (future hosts must regularly report to the IC on their progress),
- solving problems encountered during the organization of an IOI (mostly of a political nature),
- evaluating past IOIs,
- adjusting the format and content of the IOI to ensure that the IOI goals will be met in the future.
Member ListAs of IOI 2006, the IOI Regulations, Statues, Section S3.4, define the membership of the IC as consisting of:
- The President of the IOI (Elected)
- Executive Director (Non-Voting)
- One immediate past host representative of IOI'n-1
- One present Host representative of IOI'n
- Three immediate Future or Candidate Host representatives of IOI'n+1, IOI'n+2, IOI'n+3
- Five other elected representatives
The current twelve members of the IC are:
- 2011 - 2014, Richard Forster, Great Britain forster_at_olympiad.org.uk (IOI President, elected 2011)
- 2011 - 2014, Madhavan Mukund , India madhavan_at_cmi.ac.in (Executive Director, Non-Voting)
- Future or Candidate Host Representatives
- 2008 - 2013, Giuseppe Colosio, Italy, giuseppe.colosio_at_istruzione.it (Host IOI'12)
- 2009 - 2014, Peter Taylor, Australia, pjt013_at_gmail.com (Host IOI'13)
- 2010 - 2015, Greg Lee, Taiwan, leeg_at_csie.ntnu.edu.tw (Host IOI'14)
- 2011 - 2016, Bakhyt Matkarimov, Kazakhstan, bakhyt.matkarimov_at_gmail.com (Host IOI'15)
- 2012 - 2017, Vladimir Kiryukhin, Russia, vkiryukhin_at_nmg.ru (elected at IOI'99, host IOI'16)
- Elected Representatives
- 2010 - 2013, Krassimir Manev, Bulgaria, manev_at_fmi.uni-sofia.bg (Host IOI'09, re-elected at IOI'10)
- 2012 - 2015, Valentina Dagiene, Lithuania, dagiene_at_ktl.mii.lt (elected at IOI'06, re-elected at IOI'09 and IOI'12)
- 2010 - 2013, David Ginat, Israel, ginat_at_post.tau.ac.il (elected at IOI'10)
- 2011 - 2014, Kresimir Malnar, Croatia, malnar_at_hsin.hr (elected at IOI'11)
- 2012 - 2015, Mārtiņš Opmanis, Latvia, Martins.Opmanis_at_lumii.lv (elected at IOI'12)
Previous members of the International Committee can be found here: